Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dad, Will You Walk me Down the Isle?

My father passed away in January of 2008. That day and the days, months and years that followed, I knew I lost a lot of things. I lost the man who taught me the importance of hard work. The right way to paint a house. The best way to tell a joke. I also lost the one person who was so much like me and understood me that it pains me to think I'll never be able to share a special moment with him again. What I would give to just be able to tell him about a great accomplishment or to just share a funny story.

When I think about the things that my Dad has missed in my life over the past few years it brings tears to my eyes. I bought a foreclosed home, gutted it and totally remodeled it with my boyfriend. Everyday at the new house I'd remark how wonderful it would be if Dad could see the new floors going in, how the kitchen was coming together, or even at the garden I planted. Somehow, I hope that he can see it and that he is watching over me.

Having recently become engaged, I am thankful that my Dad was able to meet my boyfriend before he passed away. I think it was important for my Dad to know that I would be ok. He'd want to know that, although I think I don't need it, I would have someone to take care of me. I guess that's just how Dad's are. So, in the last few months of my father's life, my boyfriend got to know my Dad and I could tell, my Dad liked him.

After our engagement, I was thrilled that I finally found the one man who embodied many of the qualities I loved about my father. My fiancé can build and fix anything. He is a hard worker and he loves me. What is better than that? But, even in all of my happiness of our engagement, one thing lingers in my mind. My Dad won't be there to walk me down the isle.

For weeks I would think about my wedding day and wonder how something so great could bring me such pain knowing Dad wouldn't be there. But then I discovered a company in Pennsylvania called DNA2Diamonds. I am so thankful that I did.

DNA2Diamonds can create a genuine diamond from either a lock of hair or cremated ashes. At first my finance and I thought it would be wonderful to combine a lock of his hair and a lock of my hair to make our diamond. But, then he came up with the best and most wonderful idea. He suggested to create my diamond for my engagement ring from my Dad's ashes. Knowing how important it would have been to have my Dad with me not only on my special day, but with me every day, my fiancé's wonderful suggestion really touched me. Once my diamond is complete, it will be set in my engagement ring so my Dad can still walk with me down the aisle.

Although my Dad won't be there in person, he will be there in spirit and will be right there with me forever in my diamond engagement ring. My ring will be the most precious and priceless possession I own. It will forever represent the bond my fiancé and I have in life and the connection I have with my Dad, even after he's gone.

No comments: